Thursday, September 11, 2014

Staging in PA, Flight to Brussels, & on to Cameroon!


We made it through Peace Corps staging! A few teambuilding exercises, discussions about safety & professionalism, and the sharing of our thoughts, concerns, and excitement as Peace Corps volunteers has brought us together as we travel to our destination: Cameroon!
Mom, Dad & I before they drove me to Peace Corps Staging
 

I have made some wonderful friends in just a few days; people who share my love for the world, its cultures, and have a passion for making a difference.  We all come from different places and I have only met one volunteer from New York State. It is about half and half as far as guys and gals are concerned. Plus it appears that about half of us are health volunteers and the other half are agriculture volunteers like me. Some have traveled to many places, others have only dreamed of traveling, yet all of us are going to a place we have never been before. Ages are about 20-29 with a couple volunteers a bit older. The background and experiences vary, but I am waiting to meet someone else that has grown up on a farm. It is brilliant that we can be so different and yet we are already helping each other during traveling and making sure everyone is together. These people are truly kindred spirits!
Peace Corps Cameroon Volunteers!
 

 Staging in Philadelphia, PA just incorporated some paperwork, going over the Peace Corps Core Expectations, and really getting to know the people that I will be seeing every day in training for the next two months.
Teamwork and a little bit of scene play :)

 

That night we all found a place to eat in Philly and even though our group is about 50 people, it seemed like everyone wanted to stick together instead of breaking off into separate groups. Guess we all were feeling like more smiles were really what we needed to block our mind from the images of saying “see you later” to our families. (That was at least one of my reasons)
Liberty Bell
 

I was so happy by the end of the night that this Peace Corps idea was connecting me to all these awesome people, I started singing “I feel pretty” down the street in Philly and a few people joined in. At least I know we got some singers in the group, just have to find the guitar players J

The next morning we were taking buses to the JFK airport and catching our flight to Belgium. I was so impressed at how we kept 50 people together and made sure everyone made it on the flight. I was one of the team leaders, which by the end of the day I was not sure if that was the best decision I made, but in the end we made it to Belgium.


 

I met a nice Italian family on the plane, along with a couple from Congo, and had some awesome conversation with a guy from Israel.  I am currently sitting in the Brussels Airport, a little cold, and hungry, but none the less still excited. We still have a few hours left to wait for our next flight to Cameroon and a few people are catching some sleep. My friends from home can be happy that my first use of the blanket they made me is for sleeping on the floor in the airport. Thanks best friends J
 

The long travel to Cameroon is tiring but I am enjoying meeting new people and sharing pictures and tales about the green meadows, Adirondack Mountains, farms, county fairs, making maple syrup, showing Australian Shepherds, and all the adventures with friends in New York. It is a beautiful thing to share my life and in exchange learn about another’s. And not only do the other volunteers have some amazing stories, but also the people I am meeting during my travels!

I miss my family and friends so much already, but I try to just keep my mind on the task of getting to Cameroon and replay the Indiana Jones theme song in my head. Next post will be in Cameroon!
Roommates!
 

1 comment:

  1. This is so exciting!! The fun is just beginning!! Looking forward to hearing about all of your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete