Monday, September 15, 2014

First Days in Cameroon-The story really begins


Sorry it has been a while since I posted. After safely arriving in Cameroon and taking a bus to a hotel in Yaoundé, we started orientation the next morning. Some people were lucky enough to wake up with running water, my roommate and I did the first day, but for others it was a bucket bath. The hotel electricity worked fine and the wifi was okay as long as a lot of people were not using it. But the water was a different story. I got a hot shower the first day, but the next morning we only had hot water and no cold so it was either burn or bucket bath. Later there was no water at all. We had to pour water down the toilet when the water ran out. I could only imagine what these difficulties were preparing us for. Even with the hassle, the hotel was a good place to start leaning the culture.

We all met in one room (all 50 of us) with a small air conditioner (thank goodness) and some awesome smiles everywhere in the room. We learned about our upcoming training, what to expect, and yes, more paperwork. Two volunteers that had been in Cameroon for a year were there to help us and give advice. The only part I didn’t like was getting more shots where I proceeded to cry silently as usual. Guess we have more shots coming…yea

Our meals at the hotel introduced us to Cameroonian food. Casava tastes for string cheese with a sour aftertaste. It is wrapped in banana leaf and tied with some kind of string. I didn’t like it at first, but I am getting used to it. Our last good meal for a while was with at our Country Director’s house where we met the U.S. Ambassador to Cameroon and his wife, Debbie. What amazing people!

That night we all chatted about what the next day would be like meeting our host families for the first time. I slept well but nothing could prepare me for the next day.

It was a 2-3 hour drive to Ebolowa where the agricultural training site would be. Health group would be going to another town. Already miss those guys L We all jammed into one big van and it was an uncomfortable but fun ride as we passed through the city and beautiful countryside.  It was raining a bit when we got there. The families were there waiting for us. We were all in one room as they called the family and the volunteer. Everyone applauded which made it less awkward. Some families were so excited they gave big hugs to their volunteer, others were a bit more relaxed. Three kisses or cheek passes as I call them were given. I finally met my host mother and sister. Both were very nice and helped me with my baggage. I could speak a few sentences in French, but they found out quickly that I was not fluent by any means.

They drove us to their home, about a 30 minute or more walk from the training center. I am the farthest one away. But another volunteer, my friend Sam is in the home next to me so at least I have someone to go to if I need some help.

I walked in to host family’s home and it was pitch dark. They tried turning on the lights but they would not work. I guess the electricity does go out often. So I’m looking in my bag for my flashlight and they try to light candles. I am already overwhelmed because of the language barrier. I get everything in my room and start going through stuff. Of course I have an audience the entire time and soon my cowboy hats are on their heads. My host mother has a daughter, son, and a friend’s daughter.

They cook some omelet and then I am off to bed just holding back the tears. My host mother says I need to be brave.

I find the mosquito net is already hung around my bed and the sheets are green. Mmm..maybe I am meant to be here. I try to write and read while my battery powered fan gives me some cool air. It is not too hot at night but my room window is boarded up and my door is closed so it gets stuffy. The letters from my friends and family give me courage. (I have already finished most of the list of things to do on my best friend, Georgianna’s list!) I am trying to keep it together. I am not too worried yet about the living conditions but I think I would be this frightened living with any people I didn’t know. Plus it is dark (the lights came on as I was going to bed) and tomorrow I have no idea what I will be doing. We do not have class until Monday. Also I have seen a bit of how people live here. I have seen the pictures on TV and been sad, but my heart is overwhelmed by the condition of life here. People are happy but I just feel that their life could be so much better/easier.

I go to sleep to the sounds of people singing and partying next door and thinking that I will be brave and just keep trying. 9 weeks here will go by fast.

In the morning I am starving and tired. The panic attacks start and I can somewhat hold it together. I take a bucket bath for the first time and use the latrine (a hole in the ground-their bathroom). I bet you can imagine me standing there staring the hole, bucket of water, wondering how the heck do I do this. It is similar to camping but camping for a long time and with people you just met. I ask my host sister many questions.

My stomach is churning and I am nervous so I cannot eat the omelet that my host mother has cooked. I stick with du pan (gosh am I thinking French already!) bread and coffee. Thankfully my host mother understands. For the first time I see that she really cares and wants to see me succeed. She brings out the French/English dictionary and starts to teach me French. My morning got much better.

By the afternoon I had met up with Sam next door, played some Frisbee with the kids, took a walk to visit Leanne (my roommate from orientation) and learned a lot a lot of French. I tell my host family about my family, show them tons of pictures, and try to explain the Washington County Fair and show them a video of Finn doing agility. Big difference between dogs here and dogs in the U.S.

Life has gotten better. I still start to cry when I speak about my family, friends, and home. Or even think about it. But then I remind myself. This is my job. I am here for a reason. And that reason is not me. It is my friends in Cameroon. I need to get through training and learn from my host family.

We start training tomorrow and I am hoping I can get on the internet and post this to my blog. I only have internet at the training site and hopefully I will be able to mail letters in the main part of the village. Not sure when I will be able to get to the mail service but hopefully soon.

As I sit here in bed, I think about the nice night I had with my host family and the love I have for them already. My host sister made me a picture frame out of cardboard & braided me hair, my host mother cooked me fish and cassava, and my host brother & sister give me hugs, try to braid my hair, and follow me everywhere holding my hand. Actually I can’t walk around the village without at least 8 children following me and holding my hand or touching my hair.

The village has many houses, mostly all like my host family’s. Concrete kind of floors, not sure what the walls are made of (cement?), some dirt floor, one level, hard to close doors, some comfy living room furniture, buckets of water for cooking and bathing, a TV that kind of works, very very old sewing machine (like antique), and a propane cooker that they light with matches. Everything, garbage & food is thrown outside for the dogs and the random chickens (Georgi!), pigs, goats, and whatever other kind of animal that happens to pass by. (Sorry Gaby no elephants yet lol)

It is an interesting place. Sorry for writing so much I am not sure when I will have time to write again and use the internet. I am happy I came to Africa. I am not sure what will happen or if I am strong enough to be here, but as I listen to Whitney Housten’s “I Will Always Love You” (my host sister is still playing with my old cellphone’s music), I think that even if I don’t finish this journey, I am certainly appreciating the experience.

I have internet only at training so I should be able to skype during the week. I have a cellphone which is free to receive calls if anyone wants to use skype call/text which is cheaper from the U.S. Also letters are wonderful. I have not been able to get to the village yet to mail letters but maybe sometime this week. We started classes today so I will be really busy and communication might be random.  I tried to upload pictures but the internet is slow. I will try again later. Love and miss everyone.

3 comments:

  1. I believe you are stronger than you think, Renee. We're all pulling for you!! It is awesome to hear about what we (back home) can only imagine!! I really believe that time will fly as you get more and more involved with your task!! You are amazing (don't ever forget that!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Renee, we are all following you and wishing you the best.
    Catrina, Steve and Tom
    We will pass this on to Steph...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautifully you write RenRen :) your bathroom bit made me laugh.....that's how it is in the Philippines too, in the countryside at least. My grandma has a new bathroom inside her house that's a bit more modern, but the toilet still needs to be flushed with a big bucket of water.

    ReplyDelete